Event Specialist (HIRED)
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
We are currently seeking an Event Specialist to work in our Charlotte, NC office. This position will work 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and some weekends and evenings will be required during times of business need. Travel will also be involved up to 15% of the time.
The Event Specialist is responsible for the success of Chapter fundraising events. Plans, coordinates and implements events in collaboration with staff and volunteer leadership. Events are designed to raise funds for and promote community awareness of Red Cross services. Also develops and executes plans to identify, cultivate, solicit and recognize event underwriters/sponsors and other event participants and provision of staff support for relevant committees.
• Research and donor development: Researches, identifies, cultivates and solicits new and existing donors for monetary and/or in-kind gifts to support chapter special events. Recognizes potential for increased donor involvement and capitalizes on opportunities to grow existing relationships. Identifies event sponsors for potential enhanced or increased partnership opportunities with the chapter. Creates a seamless, balanced and enjoyable experience for potential donors through effective leadership and recognition techniques.
• Relationship development: Develops effective working relationships with donors, volunteers, government and foundation representatives to nurture their connections to ARC. May oversee collaboration with internal communications and marketing groups for strategies and materials.
• Provides leadership and guidance to assigned event chairs and committees. Directs the activities of and serves as the primary staff liaison to the volunteer committees for assigned chapter special events. Provides staff support and leadership to event chairs and related committees formed to help secure sponsors and participants.
• Event planning project development: Creates and collaborates with other development staff on special events project plans and participates in budget development. Monitors event outcomes including revenue and expenses and results in order to increase special event program growth. Manages implementation and production of all fundraising events including vendor relationships, budgets and event logistics. Coordinates activities and formulates strategies related to event program. Assesses outcome of each event and makes recommendations for improvements. Responsible for meeting Special Events revenue goals.
• Events Material Development: Collaborates with Communications and Marketing to develop materials related to events including media releases and photo sessions. Also handles interviews.
• Provides volunteer or staff work direction: Directs the work of development volunteers or staff regarding administrative support duties including recording and tracking donor invoices, acknowledgement correspondence, mass mailings, thank you letters, support at the event, etc. May hire, train, coach, counsel and evaluate performance of volunteers or give significant recommendations as to those supervisory actions.
Essential functions and physical requirements:
• Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information.
• Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
• Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
• Minimum 3 years of proven experience and documented success in events planning and/or management.
• Prefer minimum of 6 months of supervisory experience.
Skills and abilities:
• Leadership ability with exemplary interpersonal, verbal, listening and written communication skills.
• Partners internally and externally with others to develop the organization, open, friendly and comfortable with diverse groups, networks effectively and establishes long-term relationships with the community.
• Works successfully on teams and strives for optimum results, resolves conflict, promotes cooperation, commitment, momentum and pride, puts success of team above own interests.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving.
• Capable of directing and working effectively with donors, volunteers, staff and committees in a wide range of activities while under pressure and/or deadlines.
• Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
• Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work.
• May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system.
• Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.