Voice & Swallowing Specialist (HIRED)
We are Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat Associates, P.A. (CEENTA), the region’s premier eye, ear, nose and throat care provider for adults and pediatric patients for more than 90 years and we are looking to add to our team. We are currently looking for a Voice and Swallowing Specialist for our South Park (Charlotte NC) office. Partnering with our multidisciplinary team of otolaryngologists, laryngologists and speech-language pathologists we provide we offer total voice care – including preventive, diagnostic and a full range of treatment for pediatric and adult patients —CEENTA provides a level of care unmatched in the region. CEENTA has earned some of the most prestigious workplace awards, including being named one of North Carolina’s Best Places to Work, one of Charlotte’s Most Family Friendly Companies and one of the Healthiest Employers in the greater Charlotte NC area.
This position would report directly to our Director of our Voice and Swallowing Center, Dr. Terri Gerlach, a speech language pathologist who specializes in voice and swallowing disorders for both pediatric and adult populations. She is a Level II-certified Buteyko breathing practitioner for disorganized and disordered breathing.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Evaluates patients using perceptual evaluation, aerodynamic analysis, acoustic analysis and videostroboscopy as appropriate.
• Administers evaluations, tests or examinations to patients to collect information on type and degree of impairments, using written and oral tests and special instrumental procedures.
• Evaluates swallowing disorders via clinical swallowing examinations, oral motor exams, FEES and FEESST testing.
• Establishes recommendations and collaborates with referring physicians to determine treatment plan.
• Educates patients and significant others and involves patient in care decisions
• Provides information regarding vocal hygiene, voice disorders and voice care as well as safe swallowing recommendations as determined by testing.
• Develops and implements individualized intervention programs for patients with voice and swallowing disorders when appropriate, as well as home programming to assist with improvement in communication and swallowing function
• Monitors patients’ progress and adjust treatments accordingly.
• Refers patients appropriately for further evaluation and follow-up care.
• Provides pre-laryngectomy consultations
• Manages alaryngeal communication of laryngectomy patients, including use of electrolarynx as well as care and placement of tracheal esophageal prosthesis.
• Documents patient encounters properly in accordance to CEENTA compliance guidelines in electronic medical record software in a timely manner.
• Provide educational and triage information to patient and their families (when appropriate)
• Communicates treatment and discharge plan with referring physician.
• Communicates and coordinates care with appropriate personnel.
• Adheres to departmental expectations for attendance, punctuality and dress.
• Identifies continuing education needs.
• Functions as part of an interdisciplinary team.
• Provides services in a manner to maintain patient/family dignity, privacy and safety.
• Meets productivity expectations.
• Correctly and appropriately charges for procedures/services provided.
• Maintains awareness of patient insurance limitations and financial resources to ensure resources are used most appropriately to meet patient’’ needs in a cost-efficient manner.
• Ensures authorizations for evaluation and therapy services have been obtained.
• Demonstrates good customer relations skills.
• Assists in program development and marketing events.
• Provides orientation/supervision of students and clinical fellows as determined by departmental manager.
• Provides educational in-services to community organizations or in-house staff as deemed necessary by department manager.
Education and/or experience:
• Master’s degree in speech language pathology and 1-3 years experience in Voice disorders and swallowing disorders.
What we offer:
As the largest multi-specialty practice on the East Coast — with 19 locations throughout North and South Carolina, over 130 providers offering comprehensive adult and pediatric care and a full list of ancillary departments and services — we strive to hire the best staff possible to take excellent care of our patients and provide a competitive compensation package including medical insurance coverage on the first day of employment.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.