Public Relations Manager (HIRED)
The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority works to deliver experiences that uniquely enrich the lives of our visitors and residents. Through leadership in destination development, marketing and venue management expertise, the CRVA leads efforts to maximize the region’s economic potential through visitor spending, creating jobs and opportunities for the community.
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for carrying out public relations programs for CRVA brands that drive visitation and overarching awareness. The position works across the CRVA’s many publics or stakeholder groups, in an effort to ensure the success of the CRVA’s business objectives and enhance the company’s image and reputation.
Essential job duties:
• Develops and delivers strategic effective media pitches while providing effective, frequent and positive lines of communications with national, regional, local and trade media, responds to information requests from media.
• Assesses the needs of travel journalists and determines the level of support from the CRVA in addition to overseeing the production of itineraries and handling on-site logistics during visits.
• Staffs events to accommodate media relations and content generation needs, which requires coordinating interviews, event logistics and developing messaging and press materials.
• Serves as the primary contact for broadcast, digital and print shoots at the NASCAR Hall of Fame, managing staffing, on-site logistics and associated communication.
• Serves as a primary contact for communications stakeholders such as Visit NC and related community contacts to generate robust content for CRVA collateral and positive media coverage.
• Stays current with media tools, trends/best practices and makes recommendations for improvements to CRVA media relations and content generation, manages vendors to effectively meet these needs.
• Manages dissemination of news releases and media pitches for print, online and broadcast outlets, monitors media and editorial calendars for potential coverage opportunities.
• Creates and maintains media databases, press kits, fact sheets, talking points, media photo and b-roll libraries and online press rooms.
• Develops itineraries for visiting media and establishes relationships with public relations professionals from destination assets.
• Escorts reporters and photographers including execution of press trips and media shoots.
• Performs daily media tracking, analysis and reporting using a variety of research tools including Cision, Metro Monitor, Google and other software and websites for tracking media results.
• Contributes to corporate and internal communications such as presentations and board reports as needed.
• Participates in event planning, on-site support and execution for media, community and campaign functions.
• Staffs programs and events at CRVA venues and external locations.
• Assists with campaign execution, brand-related programs, content generation needs and social media support as outlined by the Senior Public Relations Manager.
• Works closely with digital communications to align social media and digital content and hosting of bloggers and influencers.
• May perform other duties as required to support marketing and communications programs and initiatives.
Scope of responsibility
• This job has no budgetary responsibilities.
• This job will have periodic access to confidential data including company records and/or minutes, customer quotes, product costs and company plans, designs and/or programs.
• May supervise interns intermittently. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training, planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Knowledge and skill requirements:
• Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• Strong editing for consistency, clarity, brevity, accuracy and readability across digital and print materials.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Self-motivated, fervent work ethic and independent.
• Good understanding of the CRVA’s goals and objectives.
• Able to perform and excel within an integrated, fast-paced team environment.
• Must be proactive and results-oriented.
• A professional portfolio demonstrating previous public relations expertise is a must.
• Contacts with local, regional, national or trade (motorsports, entertainment, hospitality or tourism) media or demonstrated ability to quickly gain and build media relationships.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take direction.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook) and other general office equipment.
• Language ability
• Ability to write creatively and for multiple types of audiences.
• Excellent communication skills including verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to demonstrate political savvy.
• Ability to analyze return on investment figures as it relates to departmental objectives.
• Ability to effectively facilitate multiple projects and issues simultaneously and to meet deadlines and be responsive.
• Demonstrated excellent judgment and decision making skills.
• Ability to maintain composure and clarity of thought and purpose when confronted with highly stressful situation.
• Ability to effectively analyze and identify problems and create a resolution.
Customer service ability
• Ability to anticipate customer needs, builds positive relationships with customers and vendors, goes the extra mile to satisfy and exceed customer needs, treats all customers and vendors with highest degree of respect and courtesy and delivers exceptional service to internal and external customers.
• Ability to travel, work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays. Approximately 5 – 10 work-related trips per year.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A., B.S. or B.B.A.) from four-year college or university in communications, journalism, public relations or a related area of study and 5-7 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with public relations services such as Cision is preferred.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.