Youth Orchestra Programs Manager (HIRED)
Led by internationally renowned Music Director Christopher Warren-Green, the Charlotte Symphony is the largest performing arts organization in the region, supporting 59 full-time musicians in a 37-week season. Core programming runs from September through May and includes Classical, Pops and Family series, alongside annual favorites Magic of Christmas and Handel’s Messiah during the holiday each season. We also serve as the soundtrack to our community’s ballet and opera productions.
As part of our commitment to serve the entire region, the CSO performs everywhere from parks and schools to jails, breweries and senior care centers. We passionately believe that music, accessible to all and experienced in many forms, unifies and enriches our entire community. Longstanding Pops at Symphony Park rounds out each season and our popular On Tap series at a local brewery and CSO On the Go neighborhood series mark an important expansion of our core programming, aimed at bringing an intimate and affordable orchestra experience to our wider community.
We actively nurture the next generation of musicians and music lovers through our youth education programs. Each season, the Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestras present several concerts, including a signature side-by-side performance with professional CSO musicians. Project Harmony, Inspired by the renowned El Sistema youth and community development program of Venezuela, serves nearly 200 children with the fewest resources and greatest need through a free afterschool orchestra training program.
Under guidance from the Director of Youth Orchestra Programs, manages the day-to-day operations of the Charlotte Symphony’s Youth Orchestras and Project Harmony. Nurtures the CSO’s partnership with Community School of the Arts on Project Harmony and collaborates with them on program development, staffing and implementation. This includes facilitating a strong relationship between Project Harmony and the Youth Orchestras.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Manages program sites and attends all concerts and rehearsals (CSYO).
• Manages Youth Orchestras and Project Harmony site coordinators and provide support for teachers, coaches and the conductor.
• Ensures program sites are operating according to established safety, operational and behavioral protocols.
• Manages all social media for both groups working with Director of Communications and Director of Youth Orchestra Programs.
• Oversees the inventory, upkeep and organization of instruments at program sites and storage unit, takes instruments in for repair as needed.
• Assists Director of Youth Orchestra Programs with plans for expansion.
• Assists in the collection, analysis and summarization of assessment and evaluation data with an evaluator.
• Manages program promotion and documentation.
• Manages student administration, recruitment and enrollment processes with site coordinators, prepares materials and implement plans.
• Assists with development and management of yearly program budgets, purchase supplies and music books for programs as needed.
• Organizes and produces concerts and events in collaboration with staff and partners, coordinate and attend student functions such as field trips.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Time management skills.
• Attention to details and ability to juggle many projects and details at once.
• Strong writing skills.
• Creating and keeping deadlines.
• Strong knowledge of social media platform.
• Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music.
• Good judgement skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, experience working in underserved communities.
• Management experience.
• Experience in El Sistema-inspired programs.