Fitness Specialist II
The Dowd YMCA is a full-sized, adult facility that will open a 40,000 square-foot expansion in July complete with a 7,000 square-foot outdoor rooftop fitness deck, new functional fitness space, a sports performance center with CrossFit gym, Atrium Health sports medicine facility and new yoga and barre studios. The branch is buzzing with activity most of the day every day.
Are you a certified Fitness Specialist that has the ability to lead small groups to another level? Are you a people maximizer in the fitness community? The Dowd YMCA is looking for a few top-notch Part-time Fitness Specialists who has a passion for leading others in a fast-paced, mission-driven and changing environment.
Under the direction of the Fitness Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Fitness Specialist 2 will interact with new and existing members to help them in achieving their health and wellness goals. Creates a welcoming environment for all members of all backgrounds and abilities.
• Foster an environment where members and program participants connect with one another to form positive relationships .
• Schedule fitness appointments and conduct fitness consultations with members, make courtesy calls to remind members of upcoming appointments.
• Responsible for working the fitness floor 3 shifts per week plus 1 weekend day per month .
• Ensure fitness equipment and facility is clean and safe (strength and cardiovascular areas) at all times.
• Provide basic instructions to members on proper exercise techniques and fitness equipment usage in a safe and effective manner.
• Introduce members to group exercise and fitness program communities based on their health and wellness goals .
• Monitor member’s progress in meeting personal and program goals (both formally and informally).
• Comply with all departmental safety and quality guidelines to ensure standards are met.
• Increase member engagement through the promotion of programs and/or volunteer opportunities.
• Attend meetings/trainings and assigned events.
• Actively participate in community fundraising campaigns i.e. Annual Giving, etc.
Education and skill requirements:
• 2-3 years continuous experience with 1 nationally accredited fitness certification OR degree related to health and fitness with 1 year continuous experience OR 2-3 years continuous experience with one or more national fitness certifications and an undergraduate degree in any field .
• Infant/Child and Adult CPR/AED trained, First Aid certification and Blood Borne Pathogen trained upon hire.
• General knowledge of fitness equipment and its uses .
• Experience conducting fitness appointments and assessments .
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills .
• Motivated self-starter able to work independently, but also as part of a team .
• Enthusiastic, friendly and positive demeanor.
• Outgoing personality and strong interpersonal skills.
• Working knowledge of computers MS Office applications .
• Basic computer skills i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel and the ability to learn YMCA specific applications.
• Ability to work irregular work hours, including nights and weekends on occasion.
• Ability to walk, stand and sit while maintaining alertness for extended periods of time.
• Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling and walking.
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
• Ability to “spot” participants.
• Pay rate, $10.85-$13.56 per hour.
• The YMCA of Greater Charlotte offers free memberships to all employees as well as free CEU opportunities and certification reimbursement for trainers.
• We also offer growth opportunities within the organization.