This story is proudly presented by Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat Associates, P.A. Don’t let allergies crash your patio party. CEENTA offers comprehensive allergy treatments so you can leave the tissues at home. Book an in-person or virtual appointment online or by calling 704-295-3000.
It’s finally warming up in Charlotte and we’re ready to be outside.
Here’s our roundup of the 30 best patios in the Charlotte region, just in time for warmer weather. Listed in alphabetical order.
Context: We define patios as outdoor, open-air spaces.
- Many of the 40+ breweries in the Charlotte area have outdoor patios but aren’t included in this list. Find them in our brewery guide, here.
Need outdoor views from the top floor? Here’s a list of the best rooftop bars in Charlotte.
Canopy Cocktails and Garden
The South End cocktail lounge features a massive outdoor seating area with its own fully stocked bar, plus another bar right inside. Canopy is also situated next to the Rail Trail, making it an easy stop for a post-walk drink.
Details: Canopy is located at 118 E Kingston Ave.
- It’s open Wednesday-Sunday 4pm-2am. Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Charlotte Beer Garden
This sprawling three-story bar has a whopping 436 beer taps. The facility is the first sister site to the original Raleigh Beer Garden.
Details: Charlotte Beer Garden is located at 1300 S Tryon St.
- It’s open Monday-Friday 11am-2am, Saturday-Sunday 10am-2am.
Go deeper: Everything you need to know about Charlotte Beer Garden
The two-story waterfront restaurant features views of Lake Wylie with both indoor and outdoor seating.
Details: Drift is located at 315-M Lanyard Ln., Belmont
- It’s open Monday-Thursday 4-10pm, Friday 4-11pm, Saturday 10:30am-11pm and Sunday 10:30am-9pm.
Go deeper: 2-story waterfront restaurant now open in Lake Wylie
Dilworth Tasting Room
This popular wine bar has an enchanting back patio complete with a koi pond. Lush greenery and the warm glow of string lights make it feel like a hidden escape from the city less than two miles from Uptown.
Details: Dilworth Tasting Room is located at 300 E. Tremont Ave. and its SouthPark location, with a smaller patio, is located at 4905 Ashley Park Lane.
Go deeper: Coolest wine bars in Charlotte
Find this Mexican-inspired restaurant, bar and gaming venue from the team behind Queen Park Social on the ground level of Optimist Hall.
- The 6,931-square-foot space includes an 85-seat restaurant, a gaming room with 50 lounge seats and a 30-seat patio with lounge areas for game-watching.
- The drink menu includes agave-based spirits, mezcal, tequila, local craft beer and wine. They have 12 signature cocktails that range from $10 to $14.
Details: El Thrifty is located at 1115 N Brevard St.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday from 4pm-11pm, Friday-Saturday from 11am-midnight and Sundays from 11am-10pm.
Located on the light rail in South End, this fast-casual chain has bowls, salads and wraps made with responsibly sourced ingredients — including sustainable salmon, grass-fed beef and organic non-GMO tofu.
Details: Flower Child is located at 1537 Camden Road.
- It’s open daily from 11am-9pm.
Located about 25 minutes from Charlotte, Hello, Sailor is a fitting venue for a lakeside date — try their tiki cocktails, share popcorn shrimp and enjoy the sunset over Lake Norman.
Details: Hello, Sailor is located at 20210 Henderson Road in Cornelius.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday from 11:30am-8pm, Friday-Saturday from 11am-9pm and Sunday from 11am-8pm.
Related guide: 16 things to eat, drink and do in Cornelius, including pontoon rentals and brewery hopping
Lincoln Street Kitchen & Cocktails
This sister restaurant from the owners of Craft Tasting Room & Growler Shop has three seating zones — the main dining room and bar, a ground-floor patio fronting Lincoln Street and a rooftop patio with views of Uptown.
Details: Lincoln Street is located at 1320 S. Church St.
- Tuesday-Wednesday 5-10pm, Thursday 5-11pm, Friday 5pm-midnight, Saturday 10:30am-midnight and Sunday 10:30am-4pm. Closed on Mondays.
This flagship barbecue spot by Jim Noble, the owner of Rooster’s and Bossy Beaulah’s, serves up pork, brisket, ribs, chicken and fish on Freedom Drive. The 200-person patio and biergarten out back has its own pavilion with about a dozen Suffolk Punch beers on draft.
Details: Noble Smoke is located at 2216 Freedom Dr.
- It’s open Sunday-Thursday from 11am-9pm, Friday and Saturday from 11am-10pm.
Go deeper: 30 best restaurants in Charlotte, right now
NoDa Company Store
The neighborhood beer and wine shop offers a vibrant patio with tiki umbrellas and porch swings. Sip on their house-made sangria during your next visit.
Details: NoDa Company Store is located at 3221 Yadkin Ave.
- They’re open Monday 5-10pm, Tuesday-Friday noon-10pm, Saturday 11am-10pm and Sunday 11am-9pm.
NoDa Company Canteen
NoDa Company Store opened its “little sister,” NoDa Company Canteen, in Camp North End in September 2022. With a similar tropical feel, the new spot features a sprawling patio overlooking the Boileryard.
Details: NoDa Company Canteen is located at 1824 Statesville Ave.
- It’s open Wednesday-Thursday from 12-9pm, Friday from 12-10pm, Saturday from 11am-10pm, Sunday from 11am-8pm. Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Go deeper: NoDa Company Canteen expands to a new tropical brick and mortar location in Camp North End
Olde Mecklenburg Brewery
Olde Meck is Charlotte’s oldest brewery. It’s home to a sprawling beer garden with German brews, a food menu and dozens of picnic tables.
Details: OMB is located at 4150 Yancey Road.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-11pm and Sunday 10am-10pm.
Go deeper: Complete list and map of Charlotte’s local breweries, plus the most popular beer at each
The sprawling 23,000-square-foot facility has a ground-level and rooftop patio — each with skyline views. Expect a long list of libations and a lineup of old-school entertainment like foosball, pinball, ping pong, duckpin bowling and retro arcade games.
Details: Pins is located at 307 W. Tremont Ave.
- It’s open Monday-Wednesday 4pm-12:30am, Thursday 4pm-1:30am, Friday-Saturday noon-2:30am and Sunday noon-12:30am.
Of note: Pins is a cash-only bar and 21+ after 8pm.
From the owners of Hoppin’, this two-story Plaza Midwood bar offers two outdoor patios overlooking Veterans Park. You’ll also find a Gatsby-themed interior with duckpin bowling, a self-serve bar with 72 taps, cocktails and a food truck onsite Wednesday-Sunday.
Details: Pinhouse is located at 2306 Central Ave.
- It’s open Monday-Tuesday 4-10pm, Wednesday-Friday 2-11pm, Saturday 11am-midnight and Sunday noon-10pm.
RuRu’s Tacos + Tequila
RuRu’s sits inside the historic Reynolds-Gourmajenko House, a Mediterranean-style Myers Park mansion built in 1926. You’ll find the patio and outdoor bar in the old courtyard.
Details: RuRu’s is located at 715 Providence Road.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-11pm and Sunday 12-10pm.
Related guide: Best Mexican restaurants in Charlotte
Selwyn Avenue Pub
This family-owned bar in a repurposed house has been holding it down in Myers Park since 1990. The front patio features a bar, flat-screen TVs, fire pits and a retractable awning.
Pro tip: Don’t leave without grabbing a Transfusion, Selwyn’s original mixed drink with vodka, ginger ale and a splash of grape juice.
Details: Selwyn’s is located at 2801 Selwyn Ave.
- It’s open Wednesday-Thursday 3:30-11pm, Friday 3:30pm-1am, Saturday 11:30am-1am and Sunday 11:30am-10pm. It’s closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Seoul Food Meat Co.
The Korean Fusion BBQ restaurant has two locations — the original South End spot and another in Optimist Park, which opened in October 2022. You’ll find spacious patios with features like fenced-in dog parks and lawn games at both.
Details: Seoul Food South End is located at 1400 S. Church St. It’s open Sunday-Thursday 11:30am-midnight and Friday-Saturday 11:30am-2am.
- Seoul Food Optimist Park is located at 421 E. 26th St. It’s open Sunday-Thursday 11:30am-11pm and Friday-Saturday 11:30am-midnight.
Go deeper: Seoul Food opens huge new restaurant, playground and karaoke bar in Optimist Park
SouthBound / The Music Yard / Mac’s Speed Shop
You’ll find spacious patios at each of these spots along South Boulevard, including SouthBound (a SoCal Taco restaurant), The Music Yard (a live music venue) and Mac’s Speed Shop (a southern smokehouse).
Details: SouthBound and The Music Yard are both located at 2433 South Blvd.
- SouthBound is open Sunday-Thursday 11am-10pm and Friday-Saturday 11am-midnight. Visit The Music Yard’s Instagram for hours and events.
Mac’s is located at 2511 South Blvd.
- It’s open Sunday-Thursday 11am-11pm and Friday-Saturday 11am-midnight.
Located on the light rail’s New Bern Station, the combo coffee shop, restaurant, brewery and fermentation lab has an expansive trailside patio with picnic tables and retractable awnings.
Details: Suffolk Punch is located at 2911 Griffith St.
- It’s open Monday-Wednesday 7:30am-10pm, Thursday-Friday 7:30am-midnight, Saturday 10am-midnight and Sunday 10am-9pm.
This SouthPark Asian fusion spot calls itself a sushi burger bar, offering both a full sushi and burger menu under one roof. Food aside, their massive outdoor patio is a popular spot for warm-weather dining.
Details: The Cowfish is located at 4310 Sharon Road.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday 11am-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-10pm.
The Crunkleton’s covered patio has sun shades, fans, planters and heaters.
Details: The Crunkleton is located at 1957 E 7th St.
- It’s open Monday-Thursday 5-10pm, Friday-Saturday 5-11pm; Sunday 11am-2:30pm and 5-10pm.
The Goodyear House
Located in an early 1900s mill home, The Goodyear House specializes in elevated comfort food. Outback, you’ll find their outdoor patio and bar shaded by a 150-year-old Holly tree.
Details: The Goodyear House is located at 3032 N Davidson St.
- It’s open Monday-Wednesday 4-10pm, Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-11pm and Sunday 10am-9pm.
Located in Dilworth, The Penguin offers a 75-person covered patio that’s a go-to for a date, drinks with friends or a weekend brunch. Plus, it’s dog-friendly.
Context: A Charlotte staple, The Penguin’s original Plaza Midwood location closed in 2014 after more than a 50-year run. The restaurant reopened in Dilworth in September 2022 under new ownership.
Details: The Penguin is located at 1531 East Blvd.
- It’s open Monday-Wednesday 11am-9pm, Thursday 11am-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-10pm and Sunday 11am-8pm.
Go deeper: The Penguin is back with a new owner, new menu and in a new location
The Royal Tot
The two-story, tropical-themed Belmont bar has four distinct areas: an interior bar, a first-floor patio, a private event space and rooftop deck with skyline views.
Details: The Royal Tot is located at 933 Louise Ave.
- It’s open Wednesday-Thursday 5-11pm, Friday 5pm-midnight and Saturday 3pm-midnight. Closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
Go deeper: Tropical themed bar now open in Belmont neighborhood
This German-inspired pub carries more than 30 beers on tap and offers a partly-covered patio filled with large games like giant Connect Four and Jenga. It’s also home to The Sandbox, a five-court, lighted sand volleyball facility.
Details: VBGB is located at 920 Hamilton St. — near The Fillmore.
- VBGB is open Tuesday-Wednesday 5-10pm, Thursday-Friday 5pm-midnight, Saturday noon-midnight and Sunday 3-10pm. Closed on Monday.
Looking for more Charlotte food and drink guides? Here’s a complete list of Axios Food + Drink guides including best burgers, best bars, best new restaurants, best weekly specials, best sushi, best pizza, best cocktail bars and best brunch.
Editor’s note: This guide was first published in 2018 and was last updated on March 9, 2023.