Community Relations Manager (HIRED)
Heart Math Tutoring (“Heart”) recruits and supports volunteers as tutors in high-poverty elementary schools with a mission of ensuring all students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. The program became a 501c3 nonprofit in July 2014 and currently supports over 980 volunteer tutors and 930 students across 17 school sites in Charlotte, NC. To date, 98% of Heart students have met program growth goals in math and more than 90% of teachers report that students show an increase in enthusiasm and/or confidence toward academics as a result of the program. Visit www.hearttutoring.org for more information.
This role is focused on volunteer recruitment and general communications. Heart is growing its base of volunteer tutors from 980 to 1,300 over the next six months (through October 2018) and also needs support year-round with general communications and volunteer appreciation and cultivation. Key goals for the position center around volunteer recruitment targets, communications metrics and volunteer retention and satisfaction rates.
• Manage general communications for Heart including press releases, social media, earned media pitches, paid media budgets, some email communications.
Cultivate current volunteer base
• Execute various volunteer communications, events and projects.
• Analyze trends and identify needs related to volunteer recruitment, retention, efficacy and satisfaction.
• Cultivate informal and formal leadership among Heart’s volunteer base, including responsibilities related to Community Relations Committee and school-based opportunities.
• Manage laterally and support Program Coordinators and Program Managers with volunteer-related items (once on-boarded, volunteers are supervised and managed day-to-day by Program Coordinators and Program Managers).
Recruit and manage partner organizations
• Identify, make pitches and build relationships with organizations that partner with Heart to provide volunteer tutors. Work in partnership with Executive Director, Development Director and others who share relationships.
• Run the customer relationship management system (CRM) related to volunteers.
Recruit new volunteers
• Identify leads, make asks and build relationships to recruit tutors for students.
• Oversee website signup process and quality controls through tutor on-boarding.
• Project manage “Volunteer Recruitment Season” (June – October), leading volunteers and staff to meet large collective goals.
• Provide leadership, tactical support and vision for the organization’s volunteer and communications-related functions.
• Provide visibility in the community, identifying and leveraging partnerships with other nonprofits, businesses and community efforts.
• Contribute to Heart’s culture of philanthropy, attracting financial resources to the program to fulfill Heart’s mission.
• Be a strong team member, working closely with Executive Director and all Heart staff/volunteers to support students and to maintain, develop and improve the program.
• Development, sales or recruitment.
• Communications and marketing.
• Work in a fast-paced environment requiring planning, attention to detail and analytical skills.
• Relationship building.
• Written communication.
• Verbal communication, public speaking.
• Planning and project management.
• Relationship management/sales.
• Data analysis.
• Exceptional organization and attention to detail.
• Leadership and ability to influence others.
Who you are:
• Have a passion for Heart’s mission of ensuring all elementary students develop the skills and confidence needed for long-term success.
• Believe that volunteers can make a tremendous impact in education and on students’ life opportunities.
• Are willing to become an expert in elementary math (instruction, need, opportunities).
• Value gratitude, precision and professionalism, growth mindset (learning) and civic engagement and will operate with students at the center of your decisions.
• Are excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work.
• Believe in the importance of data and attention to detail.
• Value and exhibit collaboration and teamwork, with internal and external partners.
• Are interested in working in a start-up environment, which requires planning and strategy in addition to flexibility and a fast pace.
• Commensurate with experience.
• Competitive benefits.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.