General Manager (HIRED)
At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to simplify the process of buying and selling homes. For most American families, their home is the most expensive asset they own—but it takes over 90 days and thousands of dollars to sell it. Opendoor empowers families with the freedom to move by making it possible to get an instant all-cash offer and to close on a day of their choosing. We’re also re-inventing the process of buying homes, with all-day, on-demand open houses and a 30-day return policy. We’ve built an exceptional team, have raised over $300 million from top-notch investors and are growing fast.
Our company is national, but many parts of what we do are local: we’re in the business of buying and selling homes, which we need to repair, clean and get ready for market. Our customers are also local: they look for a new home in a particular neighborhood or school district and they sell in the same way. Our local offices are responsible for understanding and serving the local market and all of the homes we buy and sell there.
The Charlotte General Manager will have ultimate responsibility for our success in Charlotte. This position will lead a cross-functional team to drive growth, ensure a delightful customer experience for both sellers and buyers and oversee efficient daily operations that produce beautiful homes, as quickly and efficiently as possible. This role is highly collaborative, you will interact with our leadership team in San Francisco and in other cities.
What you will do:
• Own our growth strategy in Charlotte, partnering with Finance to set goals and with Marketing & PR to execute across channels.
• Own our performance metrics in Charlotte. You’ll monitor key metrics on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and dig into root causes to understand and address emerging trends.
• Own the Charlotte budget. You’ll oversee spend on our homes and on marketing.
• Hire and manage a local team that spans multiple functions across growth, business development and operations. You’ll monitor team productivity, manage them to goals and drive workplace and cultural norms that align with our company values.
• Drive a delightful customer experience: you’ll work with your team to build and implement processes that inspire trust, from the moment a customer first reaches out to us, to the moment we close. You’ll be maniacal about reviews and customer feedback.
• Be an internal champion for Charlotte: you’ll represent the Charlotte to our HQ in San Francisco and other offices and agitate when you see things that need solving.
• Be the external face of Opendoor in Charlotte: you’ll represent Opendoor to local press and important industry partners and vendors.
• Facilitate communications between the Charlotte and HQ: you’ll update the company on performance in Charlotte and make sure your team is up to speed on everything we’re working on nationally.
Skills and experience:
• At least 7+ years of experience in strategy, operations, marketing or general management and at least 2 years of experience running a business or business unit.
• Experience leading a cross-functional team, including working closely with operators.
Who you are
• A strong people leader with the ability to motivate and inspire cross-functional teams.
• A creative problem solver, with a proven track record of thinking “outside the box” to solve complicated and multi-faceted problems.
• A strong and structured communicator, both verbally and in writing.
• Quantitative and data-driven, able to draw insights from data, but also to make decisions based on imperfect data
• Willing to roll up your sleeves and do “whatever it takes”.
• Hungry and energetic to hit ambitious goals.
• Customer-centric. You care deeply about every customer interaction and the experience of all buyers and sellers.
• Willing to travel up to ~10% of the time.
• Experience working at a high-growth technology company.
• Running a business unit or managing a P&L.
• Experience in real estate.
• You’ve lived in the city for at least 2 years.
• Opendoor values openness.
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds, being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.