Director, Facilities (HIRED)
The Director, Facilities provides direct supervision to the Building Services Department, janitorial, vendors and contractors. Oversees the facility and ground aesthetics. Analyze utility bills and energy output. Oversee the safety and security for employees, guests and company property. Manage all building related systems and operations to ensure optimum performance. Organize and oversee construction and renovation projects. Manage and coordinate building maintenance, repairs and upgrades and comply with environmental, safety and health procedures relating to facility operations for Discovery Place Inc.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Responsible for planning, coordination and management of facility, grounds and properties.
• Plan, coordinate and manage all day-to-day activities related to building support systems, repairs and maintenance and facility grounds.
• Enforce and follow all company policies and procedures.
• Coordinate all facility related required inspections including but not limited to life safety, fire equipment, elevators, health inspections, etc.
• Perform continual walkthroughs of the facilities and address issues identified.
• Coordinate with City of Charlotte personnel and other governmental agencies for facility related needs.
• Organize and oversee facility construction and renovation projects.
• Manage all company vehicles including, repairs and maintenance, inspections, tag renewals, vehicle use and requests policies.
• Provide direction and supervision to janitorial staff to ensure the highest possible standard of cleanliness and sanitation.
• Establish and manage monthly parking contracts with external customers and vendors.
• Oversee the proper and most efficient use of energy and other resources.
• Ensure that all OSHA, ADA, fire regulations and/or other building codes meet or exceed standards.
• Ensure the proper functionality of all-building related systems including, but not limited to HVAC, electrical and lighting systems.
Safety and security
• Directs and or responds to after hour emergencies as required.
• Maintain accurate and organized records pertaining to incident reports, police reports and maintenance reports.
• Minimize injuries, theft and related problems through foresight and appropriate action or communication.
• Develop, implement and update all emergency evacuation procedures, staff training programs for general safety, emergency procedures and OHSA changes.
• Maintain and issue all facility door operational schedules, keys, parking/ door access cards and alarm codes.
• Ensure Fire and burglary systems and devices are operating optimally and maintain up to date emergency contact lists.
• Maintain and ensure that all security cameras are fully functional and operating properly.
Supervisory responsibilities for the Building Services Department
• Provide direct supervision to Building Services Supervisor, Associates and Shuttle Operators.
• Develop and manage all museums building services departmental budgets.
• Implement departmental goals, objectives and procedures including but not limited to, shipping and receiving, facility and grounds aesthetic walkthroughs.
Culture and behavior
• Maintain an outwardly positive demeanor towards coworkers, subordinate staff members and visitors.
• Have and instill in others a team orientated approach and can-do attitude.
• Assist other departments in their responsibilities when help is needed.
• Exercise good judgment, quickly addressing and directing appropriate actions in emergency situations.
• Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Maintain an excellent rapport and working relationship with the City of Charlotte representations.
• Display flexibility in an ever-changing environment.
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
• Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Develops alternative solutions.
• Works well in group problem solving situations.
• Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming.
• Maintains confidentiality.
• Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
• Follows policies and procedures.
• Consistently at work and on time.
• Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
• Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
• Coordinate projects.
• Exhibits confidence in self and others.
• Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
• Communicates changes and progress, strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
• Manages difficult or emotional customer situations.
• Responds promptly to customer needs.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities.
• Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
• Develops workable implementation plans.
• Delegates work assignments.
• Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
• Takes responsibility for own actions.
• Keeps commitments.
• Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
• Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
• Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
• Listens and gets clarification.
• Responds well to questions.
• Demonstrates group presentation skills.
• Participates in meetings.
• Writes clearly and informatively.
• Edits work for spelling and grammar.
• Varies writing style to meet needs.
• Presents numerical data effectively.
• Able to read and interpret written information.
• Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Sets and achieves challenging goals.
• Applies feedback to improve performance.
• Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Meets productivity standards.
• Completes work in timely manner.
• Strives to increase productivity.
• Works quickly. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
• Observes safety and security procedures.
• Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines.
• Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
• Uses equipment and materials properly.
• Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
• Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
• Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
• Makes timely decisions.
• Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
Abilities and skills:
Must have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence and to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word 2003 or later word processing software, Microsoft Outlook 2003 word processing software, Microsoft Excel 2003 or later spreadsheet software spreadsheet software and Internet software.
• Education level or equivalent of 4 year degree + 2 year comparable work experience or 6 year comparable work experience.
• Experience in facility management or related field involving facilities in excess of 50,000 square feet.
• Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.