Building Engineer/Maintenance (BEM) (HIRED)
Beacon Partners is a privately held commercial real estate investment firm with a portfolio of approximately 6.5 million sf of industrial assets throughout the Carolinas and approximately 750,000 sf of office/retail assets in the Southend/Midtown submarkets in Charlotte, NC. To learn more about us please visit our website at www.beacondevelopment.com.
We are currently seeking a Building Engineer to manage the operations of our office portfolio. The Building Engineer will work independently at times but will also occasionally be joined on tasks with our two existing Building Engineers. This person will be responsible for performing hands-on maintenance work in Beacon’s office facilities. Duties will include, but are not limited to the installation, repair, maintenance, monitoring and improvement of all building structures and systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, hardware and life safety equipment. The Building Engineer will report to the Office Property Management Team and will work day to day with our 2 Senior Office Property Managers. There will be some travel between the office assets in Southend and Midtown.
Essential job functions:
Property management related functions
• Assist PM with ongoing inspections to make sure all our properties are being visually inspected. (Landscaping, lights, trash, stained ceiling tiles, etc.) Make recommendations for improvements to the property.
• Be a first responder to service calls. (For example; roof leaks, HVAC issues, plumbing issues, life safety, etc). Visit with tenants immediately, make sure issues get resolved in a timely matter and follow up with tenants to confirm. Be available for on call after hour duty rotation with all other teammates on the PM team.
• Supervise the annual sprinkler, fire alarm panel and backflow inspections.
• Assist in developing and implementing property procedures, controls and checklists. Conduct daily procedures/assessments using round sheets to provide support and information to the property manager on a daily basis on building equipment and systems including access control, mechanical, electrical, HVAC (and applicable EMS controls) and elevator.
• Assist the property manager in the selection of vendors and services to ensure cost effective and positive expense control. Assist in the supervision, training and scheduling of on-site personnel for the property to ensure optimum performance and insuring that building personnel follow established policies and procedures.
• Conduct property inspections and input to facility database. Respond to problems and concerns from tenants, visitors and owners and respond to each in a prompt and professional manner according to company policy. Monitoring work order processing and follow up.
• Assist property manager in monitoring and coordinating capital improvements and property renovation projects.
• Ensure all preventive maintenance and scheduled inspections specific to the buildings systems and equipment are conducted, either directly or through use of outside vendors, for environmental equipment, vertical transportation equipment, life safety systems, HVAC and associated equipment.
• Assist property manager in responding to all emergency situations and performing tasks necessary for the well-being and protection of the property and occupants.
• Maintain inventories of supplies and repair parts and reorder materials as needed, with Property Manager’s approval. Maintain inventory of tools and equipment.
• Monthly utility meter readings and monitoring for applicable sub metered tenants.
Construction management related functions
• Perform minor touch up work for new tenants/vacant suites (repaint, re-carpet etc).
• Review contractor schedule and vendor coordination needs (cabling, furniture, racking etc).
• Check in with neighboring tenants to make sure work is not negatively impacting others.
• Coordinate with Property Manager to ensure all new lock sets are per building standard keying system.
• Coordinate Tenant move in and move-out with Tenant and Property Manager.
Knowledge and skills:
• The BEM must possess good interpersonal skills to interact with tenants and vendors.
• The BEM should have good proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• The BEM must be very familiar with all managed properties and tenants and help coordinate everything from property repairs to securing proper documentation for lease and building files.
• The BEM must be able to perform minor physical work including climbing ladders, replacing ceiling tile, repainting walls, etc.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.