UNYQ is an emerging technology company based in San Francisco, Charlotte and Seville. In partnership with clinical and industry thought leaders, we will empower UNYQers with inclusive design, disrupt prosthetics and orthopedic bracing with mass customization, deliver connected, value-based outcomes and achieve our profitable growth objectives.
Under the guidance of the Customer Service and Technical Support Manager, Product Engineer and Orthotist, the Brace Designer is responsible for using UNYQ’s proprietary software to design patient specific scoliosis and orthopedic braces to be 3D Printed. Work will entail receiving and approving clinical information such as anatomical 3D scans and photogrammetric information, modifying 3D scans according to systematized protocol and input from supervising practitioners, designing braces to match the anatomy of individual patients and established standards, working collaboratively with clinical customers and documenting work/designs for quality control and/or clinician approval. Other duties may include technical support, complaint resolution and patient outreach. The Brace Designer supports Sales, R&D and Operations, participates in design review meetings, implements product performance improvements and ensures products meet design input specifications.
• Designs and develops digital model for products using CAD and custom software tools.
• Demonstrates sound judgment to develop custom product designs that satisfy the customer’s needs and represent the best balance of cost, producibility, form, fit, function, appearance and quality.
• Prepares production packages in accordance with manufacturing specifications and tolerances and maintains revisions and documentation per Quality System regulations.
• Adheres to established production processes.
• Creates functional products and supports preparing demonstration samples.
• Supports laboratory and field testing and evaluation of product designs to assure compliance with performance specifications.
• Performs product and component testing and analysis as needed and maintains order history and development history records, as applicable.
• Applies material science concepts to evaluate material failure or predict potential failure modes.
• Works with R&D, Marketing, Operations and Quality Assurance to prepare and maintain specifications for products, which include manufacturing, assembly and inspection.
• Supports manufacturing by creating production packages and communicating production priorities and time schedule.
• Manages orders from design through fulfillment and provides after-sales support.
• Participates in product development discussions with internal team and customers to gain knowledge of the application of the current devices and possible future devices.
• Prepares well written order fulfillment and product development Design Control documentation as needed.
• Performs additional duties as assigned.
Education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
• The preferred candidate will have a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) from 4-year College or University in Biomedical, Mechanical or related engineering degree.
• Proficient in Solidworks, surface modeling techniques and CAD software with 1-2 years of mechanical design or related work experience.
• Experience with solid and surface mesh manipulation.
• Possesses a strong interest in new product development activities and efficiency programs for accelerating speed to market.
• Skilled in interpreting engineering drawings including tolerances as well as free-hand, conceptual sketches or renderings.
• Experience interfacing with medical professionals in clinical settings.
• Knowledge of biomechanics and anatomy.
• Knowledge of manufacturing processes, preferably 3D printing.
• Good written and verbal communication and presentations skills.
• Ability to interface well with all departments within the company in a highly professional, confident and poised manner.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and professionally both internally and with customers.
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively and independently and prioritize effectively to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
• Ability to meet designated deadlines is also a critical qualification.