Director Payroll – Workday
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE ® 50 home improvement company serving more than 17 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2016 sales of $65.0 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,370 home improvement and hardware stores and employ over 290,000 people. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure the accuracy of payment to all Lowe’s US employees according to the federal and state laws related to payment operations, taxation, deductions and earnings. This includes responsibility for developing procedures for and supervising the preparation, documentation and disbursement of all payroll checks, payroll taxes and employee benefit payments. This role is responsible for accurate and timely pay for all employees is required to keep the enterprise operating day-to-day and to maintain employee satisfaction with pay, speed of delivery and service. Lowe’s is in the process of transitioning from PeopleSoft to Workday payroll. This position will have a significant role in the project and ownership of the Workday payroll environment and processes on an ongoing basis.
• Responsible for the transition of the current payroll application and operating model from PeopleSoft to Workday including defining the future state processes, team structure, roles and responsibilities, service level agreements and operating procedures.
• Responsible for identifying and allocating payroll activities across the appropriate departments within Lowe’s including payroll operations, shared services and field operations.
• Responsible for the accuracy of the preparation, documentation and disbursement of all payroll checks, payroll taxes to all Lowe’s employees, communicates across functions in order to ensure the accuracy.
• Reviews additions and changes to cloud based payroll system (e.g. changes in salary, tax withholding’s, etc).
• Ensures accounting distribution and preparation of deductions, remediates any issues with the general ledger by making sure Finance and Accounting has all the information they need.
• Confirms proper governmental reporting and compliance related to Payroll and if new legislation is passed, identifies performance and data integrity issues associated with the change and updates processes accordingly.
• Manages and helps correct any irregular payments (e.g., sales draws, bonus payments, etc), performance issues and/or data integrity issues related to payroll.
• Resolves payroll issues with Lowe’s employees, interprets the root cause analyses completed by Payroll Specialists and develops safeguards to ensure the issues are resolved and not repeated.
• Identifies and quantifies opportunities to drive efficiencies and automates processes within Payroll, as well as identifies what can be off-shored, creates standard procedures for these tasks and integrates practices and processes into day-to-day payroll management.
• Directs and oversees the Payroll team to guarantee time card completion (monitored by Payroll Specialists) for all Lowe’s employees.
• Coordinates with HR Business Partners, Shared Services and Legal to confirm accuracy in final distribution of pay and proper severance processing and payment.
• Helps facilitate training sessions and reviews training documents to build stronger Payroll capabilities and speed of delivery.
• Minimum travel.
Education and experience:
• 7-10 years of experience working in payroll and managing people.
• Master’s Degree.
• 1-2 years of experience implementing and running a Workday payroll operation.
• APA and/or CPP certifications are preferred, as well as experience in Retail Industry.
• Experience with PeopleSoft, Kronos or other related system.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.