Senior Communications Consultant, Issues Management
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
The successful candidate for this position will become part of an issues management and crisis communications team that has primarily focused on coal ash management for the last several years. As the corporation’s needs change, the group will continue to manage that high profile work while shifting some of its attention to process improvement, education and problem solving to help the company identify and address potential external impacts of its decisions and actions. The senior consultant will manage some coal ash-related work and apply their broad skill set to the emerging work as well.
• Demonstrated experience identifying and helping mitigate possible reputational issues related to company decisions, actions or incidents.
• Demonstrated success offering counsel to and influence senior business leaders.
• Ability to build consensus among various business units.
• Expertise in developing/implementing/measuring impact of communications plans on challenging subjects and issues.
• Demonstrated ability to manage any media inquiry or other public engagement, including those that place the company’s reputation at high risk.
• Working independently with only moderate manager guidance on the most complex issues.
• Participating in the corporate media “on-call” rotation and holding an emergency response role.
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or a comparable field of study.
• 5 or more years of experience in Communications and Public Affairs.
• Ability to identify and address complex public relations issues with moderate manager guidance.
• Strong skills in issues management and crisis communications.
• Strong media relations skills working as a corporate spokesperson on contentious issues that can impact corporate reputation.
• Experience working closely with senior leaders, presenting recommendations, offering counsel and influencing business decisions.
• Experience building consensus among diverse business units.
• Experience developing, executing and measuring the impact of comprehensive communication strategies designed to protect and advance the company’s reputation.
• Experience with Duke Energy or another utility.
• Experience addressing environmental issues.
• Available to travel occasionally and support after-hours events as needed.
• Available to serve in an on-call duty rotation.