Volunteer Engagement Manager (HIRED)
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Hands On Charlotte is a program of United Way of Central Carolinas. Founded in 1991, Hands On Charlotte is a charter member of the HandsOn Network with the mission to inspire, equip and mobilize a diverse corps of volunteers to strengthen our community. Comprised of more than 200 volunteer centers internationally, the HandsOn Network (an enterprise of Points of Light) is the world’s largest volunteer action alliance.
The Volunteer Engagement Manager will work within the Hands On Charlotte team to plan, organize and manage volunteer engagement activities, including projects for corporate partners and our signature service events (MLK Call to Service, HOC Day, Service Juris Day and the Charlotte Playground Build). This position will help lead the creation of meaningful and impactful volunteer projects that advance brand awareness, foster strong community relations, increase donor and volunteer loyalty and acquire new supporters. The Manager must be able to demonstrate strong internal team leadership while employing a collaborative and results-oriented approach.
Project creation and management
Work with Hands On Charlotte and United Way of Central Carolinas team members, partner agencies, volunteer leaders and material suppliers to create and manage project.
• Research, plan and design projects.
• Determine size and scope of projects.
• Secure venues, tools and materials, occasionally driving large rental vehicles to transport tools and materials.
• Stage projects in advance, often engaging in physical work and using power tools.
• Supervise execution of projects, keeping volunteers engaged in the process.
• Post-project cleanup and follow-up as necessary.
Work with Hands On Charlotte and United Way of Central Carolinas team members, partner agencies and volunteers leaders on strategies for individual volunteer outreach/recruitment, appreciation and retention.
• Assist with ongoing volunteer communications.
• Work with partner agencies to maintain meaningful volunteer project options.
• Help identify talented volunteers with leadership potential.
• Assist with the development of new types of corporate and individual volunteer partnerships.
• Other duties as assigned.
Experience and skills required:
• Strong project management and time management skills. The ability to handle multiple tasks with organization and accuracy.
• Demonstrated passion for and experience with addressing community needs, the non-profit sector, volunteerism and/or philanthropy.
• Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills: the ability to work effectively with donors, volunteers and staff, display superior judgment and diplomatic skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours (some early morning, evening and occasional weekend hours due to the nature of our events).
• Enthusiasm, commitment to excellence, self-motivation, a professional demeanor, is highly organized and detail oriented.
• A collaborative, team-oriented attitude.
• Proven strong negotiating skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), internet research and knowledge of social media.
• Experience working with databases.
• Driver’s license, access to reliable transportation and ability and willingness to drive large vehicles preferred.
• Light lifting (less than 50 lbs) may be required for event set-up and tear down.