Producer, Morning Edition
WFAE is a fast-paced public radio station offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
WFAE, an award-winning public radio station serving the Charlotte region for more than 35 years, seeks a producer to join our Morning Edition team. The producer will assist the host of Morning Edition and other newsroom colleagues to ensure that the most important stories in the Charlotte region are aired and published each morning.
The producer will report on breaking news, update ongoing coverage and help prioritize the morning news lineup. The producer will also be responsible for updating wfae.org and contributing posts for social media, and The Frequency, our daily newsletter. In addition, the producer will contribute to the production of a early morning news podcast.
The Producer for Morning Edition will report to the Assistant News Director and will work closely with the Morning Edition Host to fulfill the responsibilities of the job. This job requires early morning hours. A typical shift might start at 3 a.m.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
• Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
• Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
• Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
• Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
• Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
• Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
• Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
• Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Setting up the newscast lineup.
• Producing, reporting, writing and rewriting stories as necessary.
• Grabbing sound from long-form feature stories, news conferences and other sources to use in newscasts.
• Scanning the wires and other news outlets for “headlines ”.
• Booking and interviewing guests for live and pre-taped interviews.
• Writing show breaks and billboards.
• Producing voicers for use in newscasts.
• Updating website and social media platforms.
• Serving as a backup Morning Edition host.
• Watching for weather and traffic updates throughout the show for use in newscasts and continuity segments.
• Participating in daily editorial meetings.
• Providing sound to and requesting sound from reporters and other shows as needed.
• 3+ years of relevant work experience.
• Strong news judgment.
• Strong reporting, writing, editing and communication skills.
• Experience editing on common audio software.
• Ability to work independently under tight deadlines.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.